Friday, July 27, 2007

Diabetics: What's Up With My Triglycerides?

Perhaps it is because I am getting older that I think cartoons are
not what they used to be. I have five young children, all boys. Like
any concerned parent I govern what they watch. I have found that
some of the most detrimental shows on television are actually the
cartoons because of the values, or lack of them, that they teach.

Fortunately some of the classics are still around. My favorite has
always been that wascally wabbit Bugs Bunny and his trademark
expression, “What’s up, Doc?” Unfortunately, for many of us the
answer to the question, “What’s up, Doc?” is, “Your triglycerides.”
Triglycerides are becoming increasingly important in heart health
matters. In fact in the ‘Third Report of the National Cholesterol
Education Program (NCEP)’, triglyceride testing is recommended as
part of a complete cholesterol profile. In other words, it is
recommended that doctors evaluate high cholesterol treatments in
respect to a patient’s triglyceride levels.

No comments: